Porcelain has been valued and expensive since the time of its invention by Chinese craftsmen. In the 17th century, porcelain was used to imitate jade ware. Since in China it was believed that jade stone has magical powers. But it was very difficult and costly to extract and process this mineral. It turned out to be easier to make porcelain dishes, and the beauty and purity of porcelain dishes turned out to be a worthy competitor to jade ones.
Porcelain products that came to Europe were also attributed magical properties. It was believed that chinaware helps to detect poison in food. Therefore, among the aristocrats and in the royal chambers, tables were set with porcelain dishes. By the beginning of the 18th century, with the development and development of porcelain craft in Europe, people had already ceased to attribute magical abilities to porcelain.
Now the production of porcelain products is divided into several segments:
- Inexpensive mass-produced porcelain items.
- Medium grade porcelain
- Quality porcelain at a high price range
- Porcelain haute couture is a single experimental piece made in collaboration with well-known designers or fashion houses.
- Elite porcelain is porcelain products and tableware created and decorated by hand. Such products have a high artistic value.
You can buy elite porcelain here.
Features of elite porcelain:
- Snow-white color – achieved by special technologies for the preparation of kaolin.
- The smoothness and glossy sheen of the surface, on which fingerprints can occur, is a confirmation of manual work.
- Homogeneity of the glaze and the absence of defects in it – on the product in the most abraded places (handles, edges of cups), the master applies an additional layer of glaze.
- Hardened edges – to extend the life of dishes, give strength to fragile products and protect against chips.
A subspecies of elite porcelain is bone china is a special line of products made of high-quality porcelain, designed for very wealthy buyers. The composition of this porcelain contains from 20 to 50% bone meal. This allows you to give porcelain even greater whiteness and strength. Bone china products are very light, thin, transparent (if you look at the light, the pattern will be visible on the other side) and do not change tone even with regular use.
Producers of elite porcelain are European factories with a long history, traditions of well-known brands. Products of this class are produced in small quantities or individually and are of value to collectors and antique dealers.