Potato is one of the most consumed root crops in our country. It can be kept fresh for a long time. Vegetables are present in the diet of almost every person almost daily. It is grown both commercially and in horticultural areas. Another advantage of potatoes is the ease of growing – it does not need special care, abundant watering, and so on. Today, there are a huge number of varieties of this vegetable: they differ greatly from each other in their main qualities – ripening time, unpretentiousness, and so on. So that you can choose the most suitable option for planting, we have developed a rating of the best varieties of potatoes.
The selection of suitable seed products is a long and rather painstaking process – taste, the purpose of cultivation, the area that can be allocated for a particular variety, care options, and so on play an important role here. Experienced gardeners recommend planting several varieties at once, so that if one of them fails, the gardener will not be left without a crop at all.
This hybrid potato belongs to mid-season varieties, is able to perfectly resist various types of diseases, is unpretentious in relation to climatic conditions and diseases. Harvesting can be done approximately 80-90 days after the appearance of the first shoots. The bushes are compact in size, cast little shade, and are medium in height. The stems are strong, but there are not very many leaves on them, the latter is dark green in color, has the shape of an elongated oval, the edges are smooth. The grade gives the tubers differing in the highest flavoring characteristics. First of all, the vegetable does not boil soft and does not begin to darken during heat treatment. The skin has a light golden color, it is smooth and even. There are not too many eyes, they are shallow and evenly distributed over the entire surface.
From one bush you can get up to 12-18 potatoes, and their average weight can reach 200 grams. This ensures high yields – up to 50-60 tons of vegetables per hectare. Potatoes have an oval shape, are not sensitive to mechanical damage. The pulp is colored bright yellow, it has a homogeneous structure, it has a high percentage of starch content – about 17%.
- Easily tolerates lack of moisture and short frosts;
- Good resistance to various diseases;
- Possesses an attractive trade dress;
- Excellent taste characteristics;
- Long shelf life;
- During heat treatment, it does not blacken and does not boil soft.
- Before planting, the tubers must be germinated;
- Excess moisture adversely affects the development of tubers.
The hybrid variety was bred by Leningrad agronomists and breeders about 30 years ago, it is optimally suited for cultivation in most regions of our country. The variety is very popular with both farmers and ordinary gardeners. Plants can easily withstand drought, and tubers have excellent taste characteristics. The flesh does not turn dark when peeled, but may crumble during the cooking process. The tubers are not very sensitive to physical influences, so they are easily transported over long distances; potatoes of this variety are often harvested mechanically.
The variety fully matures approximately three months after germination. The average weight of tubers ranges from 70 to 120 grams. The bushes are medium in size, erect even after the crop has matured. The tops are quite sprawling, from one tuber you can collect up to 15 decent-sized potatoes. The foliage is abundant, the leaves are large, painted in a light green color. There are no wavy edges on the foliage, which is not very typical for potatoes. It blooms with large white flowers, the yield can reach 350 centners per hectare. Potatoes lie well in winter, have a sweetish taste – suitable for preparing any culinary delights.
- Possesses a good trade dress;
- May lie down for a long time;
- The variety is not sensitive to parasites and diseases.
- One bush takes up quite a lot of space, which in one way or another affects the yield.
Table potatoes, this variety was bred by German breeders more than 15 years ago. The maximum yield can be obtained by growing it in the middle zone of our country. Belongs to mid-early varieties, ripens approximately 90-110 days after germination. Bushes are distinguished by high yields – one plant brings up to 12-15 potatoes. Their average weight is in the range of 80-110 grams, often larger specimens weighing about 150 grams come across. Due to this, it is possible to ensure the yield of the variety up to 550 centners per hectare. Potatoes are crumbly, have a high percentage of starch content – at least 16%. The peel is painted in a pleasant light yellow color, the flesh is dark yellow, it may darken during cooking. It does not lie too well, so it is recommended to use the crop before it starts to deteriorate.
Bushes grow medium, rarely high. Although the stems are erect, they are quite spreading. There are not very many foliage, it is quite large in size, has a dark green color, and slight waviness is observed along the edges. It blooms with white large flowers, berries are formed, but rarely.
- Perfectly withstands the lack of moisture in the soil;
- Potatoes are able to produce a decent crop, regardless of the type of soil;
- The skin is dense – it will not be damaged even during long-distance transportation;
- Tubers have an excellent marketable appearance;
- Suitable for preparing a wide variety of dishes;
- Consistently high yield.
- It is forbidden to plant this potato variety in the same area for two or even more than three years in a row.
Despite the fact that this variety first appeared on the market about 11 years ago, it has become very popular, mainly among gardeners who grow potatoes exclusively for their own consumption. Plants excellently resist various kinds of diseases, have a very mild taste, even with prolonged storage they will retain their basic taste characteristics. A hybrid was bred by German specialists, it is able to adapt to almost any climatic conditions. Plants have a fairly dense skin, which is not sensitive to various kinds of mechanical damage. This variety can be easily transported and harvested by mechanized type.
Potato shoots are semi-straight, grow to a slight height. The foliage is large, painted in rich green. The tubers are of medium size: their length can reach 8 cm, width – 6 cm, their weight can reach 120 grams. The peel has a yellowish color, the pulp often has a rich shade, rather fibrous, does not begin to crumble during cooking.
- Feels comfortable in almost any conditions, including at fairly low temperatures;
- Easily resists various kinds of diseases;
- The first crop can be harvested about a couple of months after the first shoots appear;
- The yield reaches 260 centners per hectare;
- Excellent taste characteristics.
- If you are late with the collection of potatoes, then the quality of the tubers will decrease significantly;
- Does not tolerate excess moisture.
3. Queen Anne
It can be grown both on an industrial scale and exclusively for themselves – in their gardens. The variety fully complies with the requirements for this vegetable: it provides high yields and ripens quite quickly. Ideal for mid lane. The tubers of this variety are approximately the same size, their shape is oval, somewhat elongated. They resist damage well, as well as many diseases, and are perfectly stored in a cool place. The flesh is cream or yellow in color, it is quite firm and will not darken during cooking and when peeled.
The peel is dense, but smooth, there are practically no eyes on it, they are all shallow. The bushes are quite sprawling, from 6 to 16 potatoes are formed on one. Shoots grow low, usually straight. The foliage is dark green and covered with soft down.
- Excellent taste qualities;
- High resistance to pests;
- Tolerates long hauls
- Up to 100% of planted tubers germinate;
- The potatoes look very neat.
- The variety is prone to certain types of diseases;
- Feels oppressed with a lack of moisture.
Potato Queen Anne
Perfect for regions located in the middle zone of the country or to the south. The first harvest of this variety is harvested after about 100 days. This variety was bred by Russian agronomists almost 30 years ago. The tubers contain a high percentage of starch – about 16%. The vegetable is great for cooking a variety of dishes, users in the reviews note its excellent taste characteristics. The stems of the bush are erect, have leaves painted in rich green. The tubers are characterized by an oval shape; a minimum number of eyes can be found on them. The average weight of one potato is approximately 130 grams.
The variety is perfect for industrial cultivation, since up to 40-45 tons of product can be harvested from one hectare. Up to 25 tubers are formed on one root. The ripening period is 70-105 days, depending on climatic conditions. The variety does not need special care – it easily withstands cold, is not sensitive to diseases and pests.
- Differs in high rates of productivity;
- Ripens much faster than most varieties;
- Stored for a long time;
- Excellent resistance to most diseases.
- If there is a severe lack of moisture, the yield is significantly reduced;
- With prolonged storage, sprouts are formed.
Another rather early ripening variety, which is completely insensitive to diseases and pests, it is not whimsical to growing conditions, and also does not need any special care. Shoots sprout at about the same time with a difference of no more than two to three days. They can reach a height of 80 cm, have strong and thick stems. The foliage is juicy, the edges are slightly wavy. The flowers are red-purple in color. One bush is able to form up to 10 rather large tubers – the average weight of one of them is about 200 g, but very large specimens can also be found – up to 800 g.
The shape of the potato is oval, slightly elongated, the color of the skin is pink-red, the surface is slightly rough. The pulp is creamy or light yellow, has a sweetish aftertaste. When cooking, it does not begin to crumble or darken. You can harvest 60 days after emergence. From one hectare you can get up to 30 tons of potatoes.
- Quite a high level of productivity;
- Ripens in a short period of time;
- Harvest can be stored for many months;
- Unpretentious in terms of care and growing conditions;
- Good resistance to diseases and pests.
- This variety is grown exclusively in lit areas – with a lack of sunlight, the crop will be small.
Late varieties for winter use
This variety has been known for more than 20 years, it is suitable for industrial and individual cultivation in a variety of climatic conditions, but prefers warm soil more – in this case, it is possible to get the highest possible yield. From the moment of germination, about 90 days pass before harvest. Potato bushes have compact overall dimensions, grow to a small height. The stems are strong and thick, the foliage is dark green, there is not much of it on the bushes, the edges of the leaves are smooth. From one bush you can get about 12-18 tubers weighing up to 200 grams. They are oval in shape, resistant to mechanical damage. The pulp is colored bright yellow, contains about 17% starch.
The yield is high – up to 65 tons of ripe potatoes are harvested from one hectare. Plants are resistant to any diseases, grows well on any soil. The variety perfectly tolerates drought, but it has a negative attitude towards excess moisture.
- Easily withstands low temperatures and drought;
- Beautiful view of tubers;
- High yield guaranteed;
- Can be stored for a long time;
- Does not dissolve when cooked.
- Before planting, the tubers need to be germinated;
- Very sensitive to waterlogging.
It contains a significant amount of vegetable protein, vitamins, and other useful compounds. This variety is perfect for use in the preparation of a variety of dishes. It was bred by domestic breeders about 15 years ago, almost immediately gained wide popularity among both farmers and ordinary summer residents. In the southern regions, it ripens much faster than in the northern regions – about 85-90 days pass from the moment of planting in the ground to the harvest, in the middle lane and closer to the north this period increases to 110-120 days. Potatoes are ideal for any factory processing: they make chips, freeze them, cook french fries.
The variety does not degenerate – you can plant subsequent generations without fear that the crop will become smaller, and the tubers will be crushed. The peel is characterized by a decent density, slightly rough. This allows you to collect potatoes in a mechanized way. The bush grows quite tall, but erect, the stems are sprawling, there are not too many leaves. The inflorescences are also very large, have a white color.
- Fruits differ in gentle taste and a beautiful trade dress;
- One of the most productive varieties;
- Can grow in almost any climate;
- Root crops are able to lie for a long time;
- Culture is characterized by a high degree of innate immunity.
- This variety of potatoes will have to be fed regularly;
- Water moderately, avoiding excess liquid in the garden.
The leader of this part of the ranking of the best varieties of potatoes was the products bred by domestic breeders. Its main advantage is unpretentiousness to the type and condition of the soil and climatic conditions, however, the largest crops can be harvested in the middle lane and in the southern regions. The ripening period is about 100-115 days. About 9-11 fruits are formed on one plant, up to 500 centners are harvested from one hectare. The percentage of starch content is very high – about 19-20%.
The pulp of the variety is colored white, which is preserved during heat treatment, the structure does not change during cooking. The height of the bushes is insignificant, the spreading is also small, so potatoes can be planted quite close to each other. The foliage is large, has a bright green color that persists for a long time. The flowers have cornflower blue petals and the tubers can lie for months.
- The variety is not sensitive to changing temperature conditions;
- It tolerates drought well due to its widely developed root system;
- Differs in high immunity in relation to the majority of known diseases;
- Very high yield;
- Able to grow on different types of soil.
- In some cases, hollow formations can occur in the tubers – the so-called hollowness occurs.
In conclusion, a useful video
The review of the best potato varieties has come to an end. After reading the article, you can share your impressions about it in the comments. There you will also have the opportunity to tell other readers about your own experience of growing potatoes – it will be very interesting for them to get first-hand information.