Motor oil is one of the essential elements of a car engine. It is used to lubricate pistons or rotors in an internal combustion engine to prevent overheating. Due to the added active additives, the resistance of the lubricated surfaces to the occurrence of corrosion processes increases, moreover, the oil itself will not thicken or freeze. One of the main criteria when choosing an engine oil is its type:
- Mineral – not very widespread, mainly used in engines that were released a long time ago. It has a low viscosity index, which makes it difficult to start the engine in severe frost;
- Semi-synthetic – has a higher viscosity index compared to mineral products. It costs significantly more. This type of oil has incorporated the main advantages of mineral and synthetic compounds; with its help, the coefficient of friction in the engine is reduced by about 5%. This oil can be used at high and extremely low temperatures, maintain its performance for a long time;
- Synthetic – may have different performance characteristics depending on which additives were added to the composition during production. It practically does not evaporate, provides low friction, performs well at high and low temperatures. The only drawback compared to semi-synthetic products is the very high price.
When compiling the rating of the best motor oils, we took into account many factors: operational capabilities, price, consumer reviews. Here are the compositions that are ideal in terms of price-quality.
Rating of the best motor oils in 2022
10+. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40
The product is a fully synthetic oil purified by a unique technology. It is produced using the patented PurePlus method. It involves the development of the product by multi-stage filtration of the base. Thanks to this approach, the formation of soot and slag will be minimal. The same applies to such a characteristic as volatility. The oil maintains a stable viscosity over a wide temperature range. The base also contains a complete package of active detergent additives. Active Cleansing Technology. According to the manufacturer of this product, the inside of the motor will be kept as clean as it came off the assembly line. All these characteristics make it possible to significantly increase the oil change interval, and it will retain all its performance characteristics throughout the entire service life.
Oil is a versatile product. It is recommended by many vehicle manufacturers. This is the only composition that Ferrari cars use in their engines. The product is also suitable for diesel and gas engines equipped with direct injection. It is quite acceptable to use it in combination with biofuels, as well as with fuel, which contains a significant amount of sulfur. It is also allowed to be poured into small trucks. This is the best choice for both domestic vehicles and foreign cars.
- Produced according to the original technology;
- It is characterized by a carefully balanced composition;
- A large number of various additives and other additional components are provided;
- Suitable for domestic and imported vehicles with engines running on various types of fuel.
- It is not found in every automotive store;
- It’s pretty expensive.
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40
10. GENERAL MOTORS Dexos2 Longlife 5W30 4L
This is a synthetic oil that can be used at ambient temperatures up to -25 degrees, since when starting the engine, the oil pump must quickly deliver the composition to all rubbing elements of the mechanism. If this does not happen, the friction and wear indicators increase. In summer, the oil retains its qualities at temperatures up to +50 degrees, due to which the engine does not jam during long periods of inactivity, for example, in a traffic jam, or if the cooling system does not work correctly.
This composition is intended for use in cars of most domestic and foreign brands, even if not quite high-quality gasoline was filled. The cost of the oil is quite high, but its consumption is much less compared to other formulations, it will not have to be added too often. With the help of such oil, it is possible to achieve a certain fuel economy, it extends the life of various filters – oil and air. During operation, no air bubbles or foam appear in the oil. The manufacturer allows the use of the composition as a hydraulic fluid.
- Not too viscous liquid;
- Perfectly cleans the engine from all sorts of contaminants.
- In some motors, it causes severe vibration;
- It needs to be changed every 7500 km.
- There are a lot of fake compounds on the market.
GENERAL MOTORS Dexos2 Longlife 5W30 4L
9. SHELL Helix HX8 Synthetic 5W-30 4 l
It is produced on the basis of active washing technology, due to which the motor will be quickly cleaned of any contaminants, including traces of corrosion. The engine with this oil starts to work more stable, stops “sneezing”, makes noise much quieter. The composition is very economical, consumption is minimal. In winter, the car starts quickly.
It darkens much more slowly compared to other oils. It resists so-called shear loads well, maintaining the viscosity level at an acceptable level throughout its entire service life. This oil is perfect for gasoline or diesel engines, if the latter do not have a particulate filter. According to the manufacturer’s specifications, the engine is protected by about 30% better with this oil.
- Well suited for any engines;
- Low consumption during operation;
- Acceptable cost;
- High quality;
- Wide temperature range.
- The composition contains additives, which after a while begin to give out waste;
- Low wear protection;
- In older engines, the consumption is quite high.
SHELL Helix HX8 Synthetic 5W-30 4 l
8. TOTAL Quartz INEO ECS 5W30 4 l
This is the latest composition with a low content of sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. Can be used for most engines of foreign and domestic manufacturers. With it, you can ensure high fuel economy, as well as optimize the functioning of all systems responsible for the amount of emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere.
The composition is perfect for gasoline and diesel engines, however, in the first case, it is advisable to study the vehicle operating manual in detail. The oil is perfectly used in rather difficult conditions, it is an all-weather liquid. It maintains engine performance well, extends the life of particulate filters, preventing them from clogging ahead of time.
Additives with a minimum metal content compared to other similar products. On average, during operation, it is possible to save about 3.5% of fuel. The composition contains detergent additives that prevent the occurrence of various kinds of deposits in the engine.
- Retains good fluidity in severe frosts;
- The engine runs comfortably – does not knock, does not sneeze;
- Additionally cleans the motor from corrosion and other deposits.
- There is no counterfeit protection;
- It is not found on sale very often;
- High price.
TOTAL Quartz INEO ECS 5W30 4 l
7 Motul 8100 Econergy 5W30
Another fully synthetic formula that is made with the highest quality base oils and unique cleaning additives. Such a basis makes it possible to ultimately form truly unique products that are optimally suited for power units of various types. The oil fully meets all international requirements that apply to synthetic-type lubricating mixtures. On the surface of the working parts, the products form a stable lubricating film of increased strength. This not only allows to significantly reduce the coefficient of friction, but also additionally protect the engine elements from the occurrence of oxidative processes. The manufacturer created this composition for any operating conditions, but this oil proved to be best in urban conditions.
The fact is that with frequent stops, for example, at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings, additional loads fall on the power unit of the vehicle. When idle, the lubricant will drain into the base of the engine; at the start of movement, it is far from always able to distribute itself through the oil channels in a timely manner, which ultimately leads to accelerated engine wear. This automotive oil is best suited for gasoline and diesel engines with increased power, it can also be used on engines with direct fuel injection. In addition, the manufacturer recommends using it with biofuels, fuels produced on the basis of ethyl alcohol, when working with a gas-air mixture, and so on.
- Universal composition – can be used when working with any fuel;
- Easily mixes with synthetic oils of any kind;
- Excellent cleansing qualities;
- Retains its original characteristics throughout the entire service life;
- It shows itself perfectly in urban conditions – when idle in traffic jams, during frequent stops, and so on;
- Allows significant fuel savings.
- Viscosity increases when operating at extremely low temperatures.
Motul 8100 Econergy 5W30
6. ZIC X9 5W-30
It is produced on the basis of a special Yubase + synthetic oil, which was developed by the specialists of this company. It is not only used to make their own products, but also sold to other oil producers around the world. Initially, the composition was produced in tin cans, the volume of which was 4 liters, but a couple of years ago, the company’s marketers rebranded the packaging and it became plastic. The oil is produced using the latest improved technology, resulting in a unique formula that allows the buyer to be absolutely sure of the excellent quality of the product. This oil contains an additive package developed by Infineum – this company is a world leader in the development of various kinds of chemical additives for the oil industry. Such components allow you to provide maximum protection for the car engine.
Additives in the composition play one of the key roles, since it is with their help that the composition is able to perfectly perform the functions assigned to it at any time of the year. The oil is characterized by excellent detergent qualities, so the engine will be able to work with it for long periods of time. The minimum ash content, as well as a low sulfur content, make it possible to use this composition even in cars with a modern catalytic exhaust gas cleaning system or equipped with particulate filters. All these parameters contribute to an increase in the resource of rubbing elements, the exhaust system and, in general, the engine itself.
- Quite acceptable cost;
- The oil contains the most modern additive package from a world famous manufacturer;
- There are practically no fake options on sale.
- It is undesirable to mix with other oils.
ZIC X9 5W-30
5. LIQUI MOLY MoS2 Leichtlauf 15W-40
The only mineral oil presented in this rating. We decided to put it in such a high place due to its high performance – this tool is perfect for both heavily used cars and cars with medium mileage, especially if they will be used in extreme conditions.
In the process of oil production, the highest quality components with excellent protective performance were used. It also contains additives and a special lubricant, molybdenum disulphide, which allows it to provide high performance even in case of critical loads.
- Perfectly protects all moving parts of the motor from rapid wear;
- Oil in sufficient volume is supplied to all necessary elements;
- Possesses the high clearing qualities;
- It can be used in the designs of engines equipped with turbines, catalysts and compressors.
- It is forbidden to use in engines with mileage less than 100 thousand;
- Do not use with other oils.
LIQUI MOLY MoS2 Leichtlauf 15W-40
4. Castrol EDGE 5W-30
This synthetic composition is best suited for fairly low temperatures. The oil is produced on the basis of modern Titanium FST technology, which makes it possible to give the oil film additional strength due to the presence of additives containing titanium in it. This production technique forms an additional shock-absorbing layer.
The oil is approved for use in engines running on gasoline or diesel fuel.
- Provides high efficiency of the motor for a long period of service;
- Does not allow deposits to occur;
- Increases engine response when pressing the gas pedal;
- Due to such oil, the motor can work for quite a long time under extreme load conditions;
- Increases the efficiency of any motor;
- Works well over a wide temperature range.
- In engines with a mileage of more than 200 thousand kilometers, it does not remove carbon deposits well;
- When buying from an unauthorized dealer, you can run into a fake.
Castrol EDGE 5W-30
3. Motul Specific DEXOS2 5w30
This is a fully synthetic energy-saving oil, which was created specifically for modern cars that meet key international safety requirements, in particular the Euro 4 standard. It minimizes the total amount of emissions harmful to the environment, reliably lubricates all moving parts, and significantly reduces fuel consumption ( when warming up by about 8-10%, and while driving up to 5%). This composition is well combined with any type of fuel – natural or liquefied gas, gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, etc.
Before direct purchase, you should carefully study the car’s instruction manual, as there may be a ban on use. The additives do not contain sulfate ash, which quickly clogs the fuel and air filters.
- Very high quality;
- The oil is able to withstand both high and fairly low temperatures;
- The manufacturer declares compatibility with any type of fuel;
- The highest lubricating properties.
- Oil is not suitable for all engines.
Motul Specific DEXOS2 5w30
2. ELF Evolution 700 STI 10W40
It is made on the basis of modern developments of Pure Plus and Active Cleansing. This allows you to quickly and efficiently clean the engine from various contaminants without clogging the filters. As a result, it is possible to achieve an excellent effect – the motor remains as clean as it was immediately after assembly. All moving parts are reliably protected from aging and wear, which makes the engine service life very long.
The viscosity index remains at the same level over the entire range of declared temperatures. A car with such oil starts instantly, due to which it becomes more economical – it consumes less fuel and oil itself. The composition is much more effective than all other synthetic oils presented in this rating, even in the most severe conditions, it will retain its cleansing qualities well.
- Extending the period of operation of the engine;
- Protects the motor from corrosion and wear;
- Can be used even in extreme conditions;
- Significant fuel economy;
- Does not require topping up between replacements;
- It can be used in any engines;
- Large temperature range;
- Easily allows you to start the engine at low temperatures;
- Well protects the engine from oxidation.
- Not detected.
ELF Evolution 700 STI 10W40
1. POLYMERIUM / POLYMERIUM XPRO1
The winner of most amateur and professional oil quality tests is POLYMERIUM: evaporation, freezing, friction. Fully synthetic with the addition of ester base oils and a powerful package of Afton/Infineum (England) additives. Suitable for all engines and temperature conditions. There are two types of XPRO1 (cheaper) and XPRO2 race (more expensive). Differences in the amount of esters, PAO and additive package.
According to numerous reviews, POLYMERIUM oils do not burn, do not coke, the engine runs much quieter, there are many cases with a decrease in fuel consumption, and excellent cleaning properties. Oil professionals and repairmen recommend this oil as one of the best in European, Asian and American cars, as well as improvement in performance and domestic brands.
- The best price for a similar composition;
- Suitable for any engines;
- Does not fade;
- Good washing properties;
- Powerful anti-wear and protective additive package;
- Synthetic base with esters;
- There are no fakes. Anti-counterfeit protection through one-time codes;
- Independently tested: the best engine oil in the world.
Engine oil POLYMERIUM / POLYMERIUM XPRO1
At the end of the video
We have given an average rating of the popularity of motor oils in 2022, however, when choosing this consumable, you should be guided, first of all, by the features of your car and its distinctive characteristics. You can share with other users what kind of oil you use for your iron horse in the comments to this article.