Modern camcorders differ greatly from each other not only in terms of production quality or price, but also in terms of feature set. A large number of professional models are on sale that allow you to shoot in HDR quality, resulting in a clear image even with a lack or excess of lighting. Models have different sizes. This top 10 ranking shows the best digital camcorders according to users. In its formation, a large number of points were taken into account:
- The highest image resolution;
- Ability to use as a camera;
- Type of memory card and its maximum capacity;
- A kind of stabilizer;
- User reviews;
- Type of matrix;
- Connectors located on the body;
- Battery life;
- Price-quality ratio.
Rating of the best camcorder models in 2022
10 Panasonic HC-V160
This is one of the cheapest models presented in our review. The camera comes with a battery, a set of cables for connecting to a TV or computer, and a charger. Lens cap not included. The camera does not have internal memory, so you will immediately have to purchase an SDHC or SDXC memory card up to 64 GB. It has compact dimensions. It is perfect for amateur shooting, equipped with a wide-angle lens.
The battery capacity allows you to shoot for 40 minutes. If you plan to shoot longer, it is better to purchase an additional battery. Zoom 38x. The camera has a flip-down display that makes shooting easier, you should immediately take into account that it is not touch-sensitive, navigation through the menu is done using the buttons to the left of it.
- Low price;
- Good zoom, even at its maximum performance the picture remains clear;
- Fits comfortably in your hand;
- Perfectly transmits sound;
- Wide viewing angle;
- The presence of buttons next to the display.
- The charging socket is not very conveniently located;
- Color reproduction in low light suffers;
- The stabilizer does not perform very well at long distances;
- Small battery capacity;
- Photos sometimes come out blurry.
9. Sony HDR-CX405
The model, like the previous one, is one of the most compact and light – its weight is only 215 g. Users attribute the almost complete absence of control buttons on the outer case of the product to controversial decisions. Under the display there is a side panel where there is a niche for installing a memory card and a Micro-HDMI video input jack. The menu is controlled only by a five-way joystick mounted on the display frame. The functional part of the camera is extended: it provides a 30x zoom, the ability to shoot in Full HD, the number of pixels in the matrix is 2.29.
The camera is compatible with microSD, SDXC, microSDHC memory cards. It is equipped with a small 2.7-inch LCD display. Depending on the shooting format, the frame rate ranges from 25 to 50. It does not have a viewfinder, which greatly reduces the possibility of shooting. The settings area is standard for amateur camcorders.
- 30x zoom maintains image clarity even at long distances;
- A very convenient stabilizer that eliminates image shaking even when shooting while walking;
- Possibility of macro photography (for this you need to additionally purchase a tripod);
- All controls are located in close proximity to the display.
- There is no way to quickly adjust the camera for changing shooting conditions;
- There is no built-in Wi-Fi module;
- The memory card slot is not always reliable – sometimes the media gets skewed in it.
8. Canon LEGRIA HF R706
The main distinguishing feature of this camera is the presence of a night shooting mode, and even when using it, the image quality will be in AVCHD format. The product can be used as a camera, the exposure is set both manually and automatically. The screen is touch, the camera is perfect for any family shooting. Modern technologies allow you to get a beautiful and clear picture. It is possible to use fast and slow motion.
The Touch Decoration function allows you to add video effects directly during recording. The ability to select the audio scene function contributes to high-quality sound.
The device interface is Russified, capacitive screen with a diagonal of 7.5 cm. The camera does not have internal memory, so the recording is made on a FlashAir memory card. Files can later be viewed on a tablet, computer or smartphone. The camera lens is equipped with a 57x zoom with stabilizer. Due to this, the picture is clear even from a considerable distance. The auto framing feature helps keep the subject in the frame.
- The presence of a touch screen;
- High-capacity battery for long battery life;
- Optical stabilizer;
- Intuitive setup system;
- The presence of the most necessary functions;
- Compact dimensions;
- High image quality;
- Ideal for its price range.
- The battery under the cover is not fixed very securely, loosens over time.
Canon Legria HF R706
7. Sony HDR-CX625
This model belongs to the middle price category. It has a Balanced Optical SteadyShot automatic type of intelligent stabilizer – due to it, it is possible to minimize camera shake during shooting, regardless of the focal length, from shooting with a wide-angle lens to the maximum zoom value. With its help, vibrations are compensated immediately in five directions, including video recording while walking fast or on the run. Focusing is also automatic, it works within a few milliseconds – the camera quickly responds to the press of a button and captures the most important moments.
Video is recorded simultaneously in two formats – XAVC S or AVCHD and MP4. As a result, two identical files appear on the memory card – one weighs a little and is ready for instant transfer, and the other is professional, which can be edited if necessary. The camera has a reliable microphone that supports surround sound and suppresses any extraneous noise. Zoom 30x, manually adjustable.
- Ability to support video recording in high quality Full HD 1080p;
- A widescreen recording mode is provided;
- The maximum resolution of photo and video shooting is 1920×1080;
- There is a night shooting function;
- Matrix 2.29 MP;
- 30x zoom.
- No internal memory is provided, files are written to flash media;
- Not very convenient location of the socket for connecting the charger.
6. Panasonic HC-VX980
The main distinctive quality of this camera is the ability to connect any additional equipment to it without various adapters. The slot for installing a memory card is located quite conveniently here – at the bottom of the structure. The dashboard is located under the folding display – there are three types of interface at once: Micro-USB, Micro-HDMI and analog input-output type.
The LCD display has a diagonal of 6 cm – this is quite enough for a semi-professional camera of this size. It is touch sensitive with a high response rate. If necessary, it can be rotated up to 180 degrees. Photographing is almost professional even at a significant increase. When working in video format, it does not overheat, the microphone is protected from the wind, and a USB cable is included to connect to a laptop or computer.
- Matrix 18.91 megapixels;
- 20x optical zoom and 60x digital;
- Convenient location of function buttons;
- Touch display with a large degree of rotation;
- Ability to record video in wide format;
- The highest video resolution is 3840×2160.
- Low battery capacity – maximum battery life does not exceed one and a half hours;
- High price;
- Small size touch screen.
5. Panasonic AG-AC160
One of the best professional camcorders. The case is made of high-quality plastic with a matte structure. All buttons are located very conveniently, which facilitates the process of video shooting. Directly next to the lens are rings to control the zoom, focus and aperture of the device. The viewfinder can be rotated up to 90 degrees, has a resolution of 1.22 megapixels, and displays a bright image.
The lens is wide-angle, has a 21x optical zoom and an image stabilizer, it houses a four-position optical filter, and a very sensitive matrix is provided. The camera perfectly shoots even in low light – 0.4 Lux is enough for its effective operation. There is the possibility of fast and slow motion. The sound is of high quality, recorded in LPCM or Dolby Digital 2.0 format – it enters the camera through the built-in stereo microphone, there are connectors for connecting external sound recording devices.
- Reliable and strong case that can withstand falls from a small height;
- Long battery life;
- Good color rendering;
- Possibility of dynamic, accelerated and slow-motion shooting;
- Possibility of shooting in semi-darkness.
- Very high price;
- Omnidirectional microphone;
- Large weight, which makes it difficult to shoot handheld;
- Manual adjustment;
- The case is not waterproof.
4. Canon Legria HF G30
Another professional model in our rating. The camera is equipped with a black matte plastic body, additionally decorated with metal inserts. There are no backlashes in it, but squeaks are sometimes heard due to the large dimensions of the case. The lens hood can be removed if desired. On the right side of the case, under a small plug, there is a number of service connectors – a 3.5-inch output for standard headphones, an input for connecting a microphone; USB port, Mini-HDMI connector and remote control input.
There are stereo microphones on the top of the camera, and the flip-out display has two additional buttons for selecting the focus mode and activating the pre-record or buffer recording mode. The battery allows the camera to work without interruption for almost 200 minutes.
- The picture is very clear even in low light;
- Attractive appearance;
- Small dimensions and weight;
- Fast focus;
- A significant number of settings;
- The color rendering is very good.
- Some lack of green in the picture;
- There is no separate charger for the battery, you have to charge through the camera;
- Professionals note the reduced detail of objects during fast shooting.
Canon Legria HF G30
3. Sony FDR-AX 100E
For a professional camera, it has a small body size, the net weight of the product is only 800 grams. The diameter of the lens glass is large, it allows you to get a very high-quality picture during video and photography. The lens does not have automatic shutters; instead, it comes with a standard cover made of hard plastic. The body is made of plastic with steel inserts.
Infrared illumination is provided, providing shooting in absolute darkness. The camera has a tilt-and-pull type viewfinder, next to it there is a button that allows you to switch between photo and video modes. The display is touch-sensitive, below it there is a row of function buttons – turning on, selecting white balance, activating automatic or night shooting mode, a slot for installing a memory card, and so on.
- Allows you to get a fairly sharp picture;
- Color reproduction is as close to natural as possible;
- Powerful battery;
- A large number of manual and automatic modes of operation;
- The menu is standard for all models of this brand;
- Long service life.
- The stabilizer is weak – the camera focuses on the object for a long time;
- At maximum zoom, there is some blurring of the picture.
Sony FDR-AX 100E
2. Panasonic HC-V760
This is one of the best camcorders that will suit both professionals and amateurs. It produces a picture in Full HD 1080p, has an optical zoom of 50x, a digital zoom of about 1500 with a focal length of 29.5 to 612 mm. The effective resolution is 6.03 megapixels. The design provides a touch rotary display with a diagonal of 3 inches, under which a number of function buttons are hidden.
You can charge not only from the network, but also via USB-connector. There are outputs for connecting to a TV, a computer, a microphone input. The battery life is quite large – about 2 hours. The camera fits comfortably in the hand, can be used with lighting from 1 Lux.
- Ergonomic design;
- Many video recording formats;
- High-quality sound transmission;
- Possibility of charging via USB.
- High price of additional batteries;
- When applying a light filter, the picture around the edges is blurry;
- The microphone sometimes records extraneous noise.
1. Panasonic HC-V770
This model rightfully occupies a leading position in the ranking of camcorders of the year. The lens system includes four groups, which allows you to get a natural image without loss of quality, even when using the maximum 20x optical zoom. The Crystal Engine reduces noise in the picture when recording in Full HD, the maximum frame rate is 120 per second. You can use the dial to adjust a range of shooting settings such as sharpness, focus, saturation, and color brightness. The camera is well suited for both amateurs and professionals. The sound quality is recorded using a system of four microphones. The device has a picture alignment system that facilitates shooting without a tripod. The camera is equipped with a Wi-Fi module.
- Fits very well in the hand;
- Matrix 12 MPix;
- Convenient stabilizer that allows you to shoot even on the run or from a car window;
- Quality assembly;
- Continuous operation without recharging – more than 5 hours, no need to buy an additional battery.
- Too many buttons, which even a professional will not be easy to understand;
- There is no automatic mode for photographing smiling faces;
- Case elements sometimes emit an unpleasant creak.
In conclusion, interesting videos
If a person is just starting to take his first steps as a videographer, then you should not immediately purchase too expensive equipment – you can first learn from something more affordable in terms of cost. Over time, the videos will begin to turn out more and more high quality. Which model in 2022 will be suitable for you is only your decision and your choice, and you can share your opinion on the existing video camera in the comments to this article.