In the modern world, a printer is a technique that greatly simplifies the implementation of many household tasks. For example, printing receipts, recipes, instructions, photos, etc. It is easy for everyone to use the printer at home, because manufacturers have simplified the management of functions as much as possible so that everyone can master the full range of features.
There are several options for connecting the printer to a computer:
- Using a USB cable (local connection). First of all, install the printer in a place convenient for further work. Pay attention to the paper input tray and the output of printed sheets, they need free access. Remove the protective adhesive tapes from the device.
When buying, two cables are included with the printer: a power cable (for supplying power), and a USB cable (for connecting equipment to a computer). Find the appropriate connectors and connect the cables to them, then turn on both devices. Now you need to install the files (drivers) with which the printer will interact with the computer. After loading, the operating system will display the message “New device detected” and automatically select the necessary drivers. The device is ready for further work.
If the automatic installation fails, you must select on the screen (in the lower left corner) the menu “Start”, “Printers and Faxes”, then in the “Tasks” select “Install Printer”, after which the installation wizard is loaded. Click “Next”. In the menu that opens, select “Local Printer”, uncheck “Automatic detection” and again “Next”. Considering that most computers use the LPT1 parallel port to interact with the printer, we select it in the “Use port” field. In the future, follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
When the installation is completed, select “Printers and Faxes” again, the icon of your printing device should appear in the window that opens. Installation completed.
- To connect a printing device, connected to another computer, first of all, you need to establish a public access to it. Then go to “Printers and Faxes”, “Install Printer” and run the installation wizard. Select the option “Networked or connected to another computer”, click “Next”. Through the “Overview of printers” we connect to the required device. Complete the connection following the instructions below. After the download is complete, select “Printers and Faxes” again, the icon of your printing device should appear in the folder. Installation completed.
- When connecting a printer by IP address (network connection) you should run the installation wizard, and in this case, select “Network Printer”. From the detected list of network devices, select the manufacturer and model we need, set the name. If you set this printer as the default device, all documents started by network users for printing will be sent to it.
Any printer has many parameters that affect the quality, speed, and color of printing. You can set them by default in the Printers and Faxes component. To do this, right-click on the desired printer and select “Properties”. Examine the tabs that open and select the option that suits you.
During the installation of the printing device, problems can occur, so let’s consider the most common ones:
- Failed to print start page. Check the connection of the cables, they must be firmly fixed. Make sure the driver is installed correctly, try reinstalling it. From the control panel, run the troubleshooting wizard, and it will automatically correct simple errors.
- When a document is sent for printing, link to another printer. Through the control panel, go to “Printers and Faxes”, right-click on the desired printer and select “Set as default” from the menu.
- When starting the installation, an error occurs and the installation is aborted. Most likely, drivers for another printing device are installed on your computer, they should be removed.
- The printer is not detected or works with errorseven though the installation completed successfully. It is necessary to check the compatibility of the drivers with the system. They can be downloaded from the official website of the manufacturer.
How to print a page on a printer?
First, make sure the printer is turned on and paper is placed in the output tray.
It doesn’t matter which document (photo, text, etc.) you want to print. In any program, there is a printer icon (print) in the top bar. Clicking the left mouse button on it, you will proceed to printing.
Sometimes, in order to change the parameters of the printed document (quality, size, etc.), you need to go to the printer properties. In the well-known text editor Word, for example, this is done through the File – Print tab. Depending on the program from which you print and its version, the location of the adjustment positions for editing print settings may vary slightly. But in general, the function windows are similar to each other.
In the print properties (parameters) window, you can change the page orientation (landscape, portrait), scale, the required number of copies of the document, margins from the edges of the sheet, paper size, print speed, and much more. The possibilities are very wide and it is worth choosing each time, based on the tasks. In some programs, there is a “Preview” button that will allow you to see the changes made in advance. Make sure that the correct device name is selected in the “Printer” line (clicking on it, you can see the available options).
After setting the desired parameters, click “OK”, wait for the sheet to appear from the output tray of the printer. If necessary, we edit and resend for printing.
This video uses the HP Deskjet F2200 printer as an example to show you how to use the printer, set print properties, and more.
Replacing and refilling cartridges
Inkjet printer cartridges are filled with ink that runs out sooner or later and needs to be refilled. In this case, you can call the wizard or try to cope with this task yourself.
First of all, you need to write down the exact model of your printing device. It can be found in the documentation or on the label located at the back of the case.
Turn on the printer and open the cartridge access door. In most cases, after that, the block with them will leave automatically. If this does not happen, in the printer properties, select the “Replace Cartridge” function.
Grasp the top of the cartridge and pull it towards you and up. In some models, there is a thrust mechanism that holds it. In this case, to disconnect, press the latch inward (or towards yourself). Be careful not to make too much effort.
Make a note of the cartridge number and type. Show all the data to the seller in the computer equipment store, he will help you choose the cartridges you need.
At home, without taking it out of the plastic packaging, shake the cartridge slightly, then unpack it completely and remove the adhesive film from the metal part. Insert the cartridge into the block until it locks or clicks lightly. Close the printer cover. Often, the system will prompt you to print a test page, click OK. Make sure the print quality is good. Replacement completed.
Given the rather high price of new cartridges, many people resort to tricks that help them refill at home, and this is much cheaper.
To refill a cartridge:
- Buy paint that matches its type. For a standard custom printer, there should be 4 colors (black, yellow, magenta, blue).
- Prepare your workspace. If it’s a table, cover it with several layers of newspaper or paper towels. It is advisable to wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from contamination.
- Peel off the adhesive film on top of the cartridge, there will be three holes in the color under it. We determine which color corresponds to each of them. We pierce them with a needle.
- We fill the syringe with ink (2-3 ml can fit into standard cartridges of custom printers) and insert it into a suitable hole. For each color, you need to take a separate syringe. Enter slowly so as not to overfill.
- Wipe the surface with holes with a paper towel and cover them with a strip of tape. Also wipe the metal plate with the outlet nozzles.
- Insert the cartridge into the printer, close the lid, and print a test page.
If you have an inkjet printer and you have to print a lot, it will be convenient to purchase a continuous ink supply system. This will significantly save money and time, which must be spent on frequent refills of low-capacity cartridges.
To replace the laser printer cartridge, you must:
- Purchase a cartridge that matches your printer model.
- Disconnect the device from the mains.
- For a special recess with a light, but at the same time, a sharp movement, open the printer cover.
- The laser printer cartridge is an oblong plastic tube. We take it out by pulling the protruding handle. If it does not give in, we try to loosen it a little, but not much. If this does not help, you should contact the service center, otherwise the printer may be damaged.
- After removing the cartridge, carefully, so as not to get dirty, put it on the newspaper.
- We unpack the new cartridge, remove the protective tape (carefully so as not to tear).
- We insert it into the guides, it should slide smoothly until it clicks. Close the printer cover.
- We print a test page, it should be free of defects.
Refilling cartridges for laser printers is carried out with a special fine powder called toner. It is sold in sealed bags or jars. When buying toner, specify the exact printer model to the seller, and also pay attention to the packaging – it must be sealed. Before refueling, prepare your work area by lining it with paper towels or newspaper.
There are two ways to refill toner cartridges:
- Unscrew the plastic cover from one end of the cartridge. If there is a plastic plug under it, open it. Under it there will be a hole into which you need to fill the paint. So that it does not crumble, an elementary funnel can be made from a sheet of paper. After refilling, close the stopper and cap, shake the cartridge slightly.
- If there is no filling hole, it is necessary to disassemble the cartridge completely, unscrewing its parts one by one. At the first disassembly, we advise you to photograph the disassembly stages – this will facilitate further assembly.
It does not matter which of the many manufacturers you prefer and which printer you choose, because the methods of connecting and operating printing devices are almost the same. A careful and unhurried approach to familiarization with the printer will allow you to master its wide capabilities in a short time.