The question of choosing winter tires sooner or later confronts every motorist. Today, a huge number of similar products are on the market – studded wheels, all-season tires, the so-called Velcro. All winter tires can be divided into two large classes:
European tires are designed mainly for wet asphalt, light snow cover and air temperatures down to -10 degrees. According to buyers, it is not the most suitable for Russian roads, but it has an important advantage – a diagonal tread pattern, and it also has grooves for moisture removal. They are convenient to use in the southern regions. In the ranking of the best winter tires in 2022, the first places are occupied by Scandinavian models. They are designed to move on deep snow, ice and a number of other road surfaces. Longitudinal patterns are not provided here, they have a peculiar tread pattern, which is located in a checkerboard pattern. This allows you to easily maintain control of the car, even while driving on the most problematic surfaces such as loose snow. In the top 10 winter tires, most of the places are occupied by such models, and besides, they have an excellent price-quality ratio.
What to look for when buying winter tires?
When choosing winter tires, be sure to pay attention to the following product parameters:
- The maximum level of load that the tire is able to withstand;
- Wear resistance;
- Speed index.
All this information is on the label indicated directly on the tires themselves. Wear resistance is determined under the inscription Treadwear. Dealing with this quality is very simple – 100 units are equivalent to 50,000 kilometers. With the load, the situation is much more complicated, since here you need to take into account the mass of the vehicle. This parameter must be equal to at least a third of the car in a fully equipped state. The third important quality of tires that is taken into account when choosing is the speed index. It is also reflected in the markings on rubber. For Russian roads, the most optimal indicator is S. These tires do not impair the speed of the car at all, but they have good wear rates.
The rating shows the most popular brands and models of winter tires among Russian motorists. Here their key operational characteristics, positive and negative properties are considered.
List of the best winter tires models – TOP-10
10 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV
Additionally reinforced with aramid fibers. It is specially designed for harsh climatic conditions. This rubber needs a special run-in, after which it will be possible to evaluate all the positive qualities it has.
- Ideally adheres to any coatings;
- Has a reinforced sidewall;
- Good braking on dry pavement;
- Wears out long enough.
- Makes a quiet noise during break-in;
- It costs quite a lot.
Otherwise, this winter tire, according to reviews, is very good for snow, ice and asphalt, that is, for any coatings of the cold season.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV
9 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
One of the latest developments, created specifically for SUVs or crossovers. It is considered that this is the best non-studded winter tires. The tread pattern is symmetrical, special crystal particles are added to the rubber, and a significant number of sipes are also provided, thanks to which the rubber will easily resist even bad road conditions, including ice slush or slush.
- The treads grip the road very well;
- Rubber feels great even in a rut;
- A car with such tires will quickly stop on ice, thick snow, dry or wet asphalt;
- The use of rubber does not in any way affect the handling performance of the vehicle;
- It has moderate softness, does not make extraneous noise while driving;
- Reinforced tire sidewall, which allows you to get out of the rut quickly and without skidding;
- Long service life.
- High price;
- It does not always behave confidently on sharp turns with asphalt.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
8. Cordiant Snow Cross
Designed specifically for snow cover. The developers specifically made a strictly directional tread pattern, the central element of which is a closed rib. It significantly reduces the likelihood of skidding on snow cover.
- Low cost;
- Small braking distance even on an icy road;
- Good for snowy dirt roads.
- Uncertain behavior on the asphalt surface;
- The spikes are not very strong and often fly out, especially on ice or asphalt during hard braking.
Deficiencies accelerate the wear of rubber, reduce its service life.
Cordiant Snow Cross
7 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice Arctic
Designed specifically for harsh winter conditions. The rubber has very original spikes with sharp edges that behave very well on ice.
- Easily removes slush and moisture from the place of adhesion with the coating;
- Excellent brakes even on ice;
- Holds the road well, does not wobble;
- Does not impair the handling of the vehicle;
- After completion of the break-in, it practically does not make noise;
- On smooth and dry pavement, it behaves almost like a summer one;
- wears out slowly;
- Possesses strong spikes;
- Well suited for the conditions of the far north.
- In a rut, it does not behave too confidently, a high probability of slipping;
- The sidewall is quite soft, which can cause hernias.
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice Arctic
6. Yokohama Ice Guard IG55
It is one of the most popular models in the inexpensive segment. The production of such tires is spread quite widely, which causes certain problems. Motorists say that it is a real success to purchase high-quality and original tires of this model, since there are quite a lot of fake products on the market. If we consider the original rubber, then it combines the best qualities: It does not affect the car’s handling performance, provides excellent cross-country ability in snowy areas, and behaves well even in urban areas. On the ice, he can show himself not too confident.
- Good level of wear resistance;
- Wide use;
- Makes minimal noise while driving
- It behaves well in fairly difficult areas;
- It performs well in the city.
- There is a very great chance to buy low-quality products that will behave on the road much worse than the original;
- It behaves quite nervously on ice, which can cause the car to skid, so it is not recommended to develop too high a speed – optimally 60 km / h.
Yokohama Ice Guard IG55
5. Hankook Tire Winter i*Pike RS W419
At first, this rubber was met by motorists with a high degree of skepticism, but most of them almost immediately changed their minds about this product. These tires perform best on unpaved, icy or slippery roads covered in snow. Rubber perfectly passes through all difficult areas due to the fact that it is equipped with spikes and has a large area of rubber contact with the base.
The tire has a significant amount of sharp edges, thanks to which it will easily pass areas covered with loose and deep snow, which is usually characteristic of off-road conditions. It turns out that this model is perfect for both urban conditions and for dirt roads or off-road.
- It doesn’t cost too much;
- Perfectly adheres to the roadway of various types, even if it is covered with a lot of snow;
- The rubber is quite soft, which ensures tight contact of the wheel with the surface of the base;
- It practically does not make noise while driving, which is uncharacteristic for winter tires.
- Too soft – this can adversely affect while driving on an icy road or on a dirt road.
Hankook Tire Winter i*Pike RS W419
4 Nokian Nordman 7
It is a fairly budget option, and this rubber will behave perfectly on wet pavement even in winter, but users do not recommend accelerating over 100 km / h when installing it. Such tires are perfect for urban residents who use the car not too often in the home-cottage-work-shop format. The rubber itself is quite soft, which provides a significant area of contact with the road.
- Low cost;
- Rubber has almost no rolling resistance;
- Very well behaved on a flat road surface;
- Wears out slowly during operation;
- Doesn’t make a lot of noise
- It does not affect the performance of the vehicle in any way.
- During the thaw, the rubber becomes too soft;
- Does not behave very well on dirt roads, especially if they are very cold;
- When using this rubber, it is undesirable to accelerate too much and brake sharply. This is due to the high level of softness – the car can skid heavily and lead to an emergency or even an accident.
Nokian Nordman 7
3 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8
Differs in high quality and reliability. During production, rubber is additionally reinforced with aramid fibers that can increase the wear resistance of products. This model is considered the best winter studded tires. Such tires are designed specifically for fairly severe winter conditions. On sale you can find sizes from 15 to 21 inches. After installation, it needs a run-in, after which it will be possible to fully appreciate all its positive characteristics.
- Remarkably holds the road in all conditions, including snow or ice;
- Has a high level of rigidity;
- It behaves well even on dry and not frozen asphalt;
- This rubber does not affect the handling of the vehicle, regardless of the complexity of the weather conditions;
- It wears out very slowly – with careful driving it can last about 10 seasons;
- Does not make extraneous noise, does not bounce on bumps and generally behaves as comfortably as possible;
- The spikes are quite strong;
- Easily removes moisture, slush or snow porridge from under it.
- Significant cost;
- Due to the reinforced sidewalls, it does not always behave confidently in a rut;
- When running, it emits a slight hum, but you can completely ignore it, especially if good sound insulation is provided in the cabin;
- During the installation process, it will have to be balanced.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8
2. Pirelli Ice Zero
It is a product of Italian production, in the manufacture of which only the most advanced technologies are involved. This is especially true for spikes equipped with a double core. The rubber also has a significant number of blocks of various shapes, the tread pattern is made in the shape of the letter V. It is considered the best winter Velcro rubber.
- Excellent value for money;
- Low braking distance on any surface;
- The absence of spikes allows you to grip well with asphalt, loose snow.
- They hold the road very well and reliably adhere to it.
- It behaves worst of all during slush and in icy porridge – a consequence of the absence of spikes;
- Becomes excessively soft at positive air temperature;
- During break-in, it makes an unpleasant noise, but this phenomenon is temporary, after the first thousand kilometers the sound will disappear.
Pirelli Ice Zero
1 Nokian Tires Nordman 5
It is one of the most common – motorists consider this model the best winter tires. It is made from the most modern materials, besides, in its manufacture, a modern technology called “Bear Claw” is used. With its help, rubber behaves much better on an icy or snowy road. The spikes here do not sag under the weight of the car and retain their vertical position, due to which the grip on the road surface is much better.
It is inexpensive, practically does not resist rolling. Tires have good strength indicators and excellent adhesion to the road surface. Able to last about 10 seasons and do not make too much noise, and also practically do not affect the control of the machine.
- It has good rigidity even at positive temperatures;
- Drives well on ice or loose snow;
- It has special tubules for removing slush or snow from under the wheels;
- The spikes have an original shape, do not fly out even while driving on asphalt;
- Rubber can withstand a significant mass of the car – up to 2.5-3 tons;
- Can be used for off-road driving.
- domestic production;
- Not too high stability in relation to maintaining the course;
- Rubber is prone to drift to the side;
- You need to be as careful as possible when braking hard, as a car equipped with this rubber can suffer a lot. Often the rubber behaves in a similar way even during a smooth stop, for example, near a traffic light.
Nokian Tires Nordman 5
Conclusions and video
Finding the right winter tires for 2022 can be tricky, but with a winter studded or non-studded tire rating with positives and negatives, it becomes much easier. According to the results of professional tests, tires should not be purchased, as they are close to ideal conditions, which are not very common in real life. It is more convenient to read the reviews of other motorists who have experienced certain models from their own experience. An experienced motorist will quickly appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of any rubber.
A large number of nuances should be taken into account – the country of origin, operating conditions, the general declared qualities of tires, the driving style of the motorist, his driving skills and a number of other important factors. You can find out the opinions of other users, as well as share your impressions of winter tires in the comments below this article.